S.A. Blog Posts (2).png

So, it’s that time of year ... the 16/17 tax year ended on 5 April and the deadline for filing is 31 January and people are just starting to think that they really ought to do something about this!!

So here’s your quick check list to make sure you have all the info to hand when you sit down and do your return .. or send the info to me to do it for you!

UTR Number

When you registered with HMRC in order to complete a self assessment tax return they will have issued you with a Unique Taxpayer Reference Number (UTR), you will need this for your return.

NI Number

You will need your NI Number.

Your details

Hopefully you know your own name, address and date of birth .. but I won’t necessarily have this information to hand .. so make sure that they are included for me and that is you have moved you remember to tell me!


If you are employed (either via a third party employer or by your own company) then you will have been given a P60 which details your income and tax for the year.

If you have any taxable benefits ie healthcare, car etc the you will have also received a P11d form and these figures will need to be included on your tax return.

Self employment

If you are self employed then you will need to pull together (have someone pull together) your income and expenditure for the year as these figures need to be included in your tax return so that you are taxed appropriately on your profits.

Remember that the money you take out of your self employed business is not included in working out your business profits!


For most small investors, their dividend income is covered by the tax free dividend allowance (currently £5k) but if you have dividends above this level (small business owners, large share portfolio) then they will be taxed and the rate will depend on whether you are a basic rate or higher rate tax payer.


Interest earned within ISA’s is exempt from being disclosed and from being taxed.  From 6 April 2017, the first £1,000 of interest (£500 for higher rate tax payers) is now tax free and banks no longer deduct tax from the interest that it pays.  For most, tax will no longer be payable on interest unless you are receiving significant amounts.

Property rental income

If you rent property then the profits from this are subject to tax. You will need to collate the rental income for the year and the costs associated with the property too – these can include: management fees, compliance fees (ie gas and electricity safety checks), repairs & maintenance, mortgage interest .. yes, the interest, not the whole payment!

Remember that the rules are changing as to how much mortgage interest you can offset!

Capital gains

If you have had any capital gains in the year (ie sale of stocks and shares, rental properties etc) then you could have Capital Gains Tax to pay.  It is recommended that you speak to an accountant to help you with this to ensure that all claims and reliefs are appropriately made.




This list is not exhaustive and includes the most common areas for inclusion within your self assessment tax return.  


Rachael Savage